Image Map

Friday, December 23, 2011

12 Days of Cookies - Day 10 - Maple Walnut Shortbread


 I love the work week leading up to Christmas.  The office is half empty, everyone takes long lunches, restaurants are packed and everyone is struggling to be productive.   Monday starts off a little strong but by Thursday everyone's minds are already gone, talking about family plans, presents and time off. Of course, I was still being productive, wink wink.  Friday ended up being a half day, so I went home early and baked.

I am on Day 10 and cutting it close to get these cookies done before Christmas but the end is near. All these cookies are also making me behind on 3 desserts I have made for random parties.  I know what I will be doing my holidays.  Also, don't forget there will be a giveaway on Day 12!!

Enjoy Day 10!


Maple Walnut Shortbread
(Adapted from Cusine at Home Holiday Cookies)


INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/4 cups cake flour
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon table salt
  • 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped


INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Preheat oven to 350F.   Spray a 8 inch square pan with non stick spray
2) In a medium bowl, add the flour, cornstarch and salt and whisk together. 
3) In a large bowl/mixer bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar, until light and fluffy.  Scrape down the sides
4) In the mixer running, slowly pour in the maple syrup and beat until incorporated. 
5) Add flour mixture into the butter/sugar mixture 1/3 at a time.  Beat on low until just combined. 
6) Fold in toasted walnuts with a spatula. 
7) Press dough into the square pan, evening out with a spatula or your hands (lightly wetting if needed to prevent sticking)
8) Bake 30-35 minutes until edges become golden.  Let cool a few minutes then cut into bars while still warm.  Let cool completely in pan.



I don't make shortbread very often and now I know why.  I would eat it all really quickly! Buttery, smooth and just melts in your mouth.   I like this one too with out a lot sugar, just pure natural maple syrup.   Has anyone ever tried gluten free shortbread?  I wonder....

MEG's RATING: D-EEEEE-LICIOUS





Day 9 - Chocolate Cherry Macaroons













1 comment:

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...