Image Map

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

12 Days of Cookies - Day 6 - Red Velvet Blossoms


My Christmas party is over.   My weeks of prep and figuring out my main, sides and desserts are over.   And would you believe I didn't photograph any of it. What kind of food blogger am I?   :-P
I had shredded beef, balsamic fig chicken, baked ziti, roasted vegetables, potatoes/sweet potatoes, mini quiches and quinoa salad.  Not to mention tons of appetizers, 3 desserts and some Christmas tree and Santa hat cake pops.  It was a delicious feast and all I have is some prep dessert photos and a nice shot of one dessert. Things just went by so fast, people were hungry and it was gone. I have no food photos but it was a great night.  There were lots of great costumes and fun and our last guests left the house around 4:30AM.

There is no rest for the wicked though, after I cleaned up on Sunday I was back to baking. We have all seem peanut butter blossoms,  a peanut butter cookie with a Hershey's kiss sitting on top.  But what about a Red Velvet Blossom.  Sweet and tangy like the cupcake but in cookie form.   Absolutely.   I am one of those random white chocolate fans so I always like when I can use those kisses instead of straight chocolate.

Enjoy Day 6!

(Adapted from Cuisine Holiday Cookies)
INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 1/4 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp white vinegar
  • Red food colouring
  • Approx 24-30 Hershey's kiss - any kind you like (unwrapped & frozen)

INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Preheat oven to 350F.   Line a 2 baking sheets with silpat/parchment. 
2) Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and whisk together.


3) In a large bowl or mixer bowl , add oil and sugars and beat until well combined.  Add egg and vanilla and mix to combine. 


4) Add food colouring and vinegar and mix in until incorporated. 
5) Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture, mix on low until flour just combined. 
6) Using a small scoop, add rounds of dough on to prepared baking sheets. 
7) Bake 10-12 minutes until cookies are slightly puffed and still soft. 
8) While cookies are baking ensure the kisses are in the freezer to prevent them from melting quickly. 


9) Remove the cookies the oven and insert one kiss into the center of each.   Let cookies sit on baking sheet a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Be careful not to hit the kiss as it will become soft. 

I actually made these twice.  The first time they were too dry and crumbly. I made some tweaks on the second round and they turned out wonderfully!  Just might need to add some more food colouring next time. 

MEG's RATING: D-EEEEE-LICIOUS

red velvet, cookies, hersheys kiss, chocolate




Day 5 - Florentines



7 comments:

  1. So beuatifull!
    Love your blog! Nice finding you!
    visit me at: my-greek-cooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These looks FABULOUS! I was wondering if I could feature them in my "25 days of Christmas Sweets" going on in my blog right now. Stop by and let me know! YUM!
    Carolyn
    www.cookinformycaptain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, all your unphotographed food sounds AMAZING! And I think it means you are a great food blogger - you love food enough to forget about the camera sometimes :) These cookies are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone!
    Elpiniki - Will do.
    Carolyn - You definitely can.
    Anna - Thanks, yeah I spend a lot of time working on my Christmas party food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Red velvet is my favorite and then add a kiss to it and I am in heaven. I gotta try these. Huh, I have sometime today.....off to the store for kisses. I all ready ate the ones left over from my peanut butter kiss cookies Love your blog, I am now a follower, if you get time, stop by www.TheSaucyGourmet.net!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious. Would love for you to share your pictures with us over at foodepix.com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummo...They turned out perfect! Love them when they are still warm and the kiss has a gooey center.

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...