Image Map

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Chocolate Mint Sandwich Cookies - 12 Days of Cookies - Day 3


I am going mad with cookies.  Today I baked 200 gingerbread men for a cookie order I have been asked to do.  I also got in another recipe for my 12 days of cookies.  I have finally finished putting up my Christmas decorations.   I was out of my one day get it all done routine this year and did bits and pieces every night.  At the end of it my husband told me today he can't turn his head anywhere with out seeing something Christmas.  Mission success. That is the why I like it.

One of my favorite decorations is a 3 foot tall Santa that is carrying a carved wooden basket. The funny thing  is he was a very impulse purchase.  So much of an impulse that my friend Tasha and I had to carry him over 8 blocks in downtown Toronto to get him to her Condo.  I put it right at my front door and place mini candy canes or treats in the basket.  I love it.

What is the holidays with out candy canes?  What is the holidays with out cookies? Let's kill two birds with one stone shall we.   I made this recipe for the first holiday issue of Eat In Eat Out Magazine.  It is a beautiful magazine with a lot of great recipes, features on other Canadian bloggers and restaurant reviews. Please check it out if you haven't already and here is my recipe if you missed it in the magazine.

Chocolate Mint Sandwich Cookies – Yields 20 Sandwich Cookies

Cookie
  • 1/2 cup (135 gr) butter
  • 1/2 cup (125 gr) light brown sugar 
  • 1/4 tsp salt 
  • 1 tsp vanilla 
  • 1 large egg 
  • 1 2/3 cups (250 gr) unbleached all purpose flour 
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder 
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder 
  • 1 teaspoon espresso powder 
Filling
  • 1/2 cup (115 gr) butter 
  • 1/4 cup (50 gr) shortening 
  • 1 3/4 - 2 cups (230 grams) confectioners’ sugar 
  • 2 tablespoons milk 
  • 1 tsp mint 
  • A toothpick prick of red colour paste/gel 
  • 6 mini candy canes, crushed 

Instructions:

1) Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and espresso powder
2) Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl/mixer bowl and beat together until creamy. Add egg, and vanilla, combine until incorporated
3) Add flour mixture to wet mixture, beating at medium speed until just combined.
4) Turn out cookie dough on to a lightly floured surface and form into a disc. Cover in saran wrap and refrigerator for an hour. If the cookie dough is too firm to roll, allow to soften slightly.
5) On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a 1/8 inch thick and cut into 2 ½ inch scalloped circles. Place a on a parchment/silpat lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes. Cool cookies on a wire rack.


6) Make the filling: Combine butter and shortening in a medium bowl and beat until smooth.
7) Add the icing sugar, milk and mint extract and beat together until sugar combined. Add red food colouring and beat to blend in colour. Filling will be light pink.
8) Using a mini spatula, add approximately 2-3 tablespoons of icing on the bottom of one cookie. Top with another cookie, press together and roll the sandwich cookie through the crushed candy canes. Repeat with remaining cookies.


Now I have mentioned before that I don't love mint and chocolate together but I would eat these.   They are so cute and festive.  Since I am not a mint/chocolate expert I always ask for the rating from others.   The plate of these cookies didn't last five minutes at work.  Word traveled fast and they were devoured.  I am going to take that as sign they were pretty good.

MEG's RATING : D-EEEEE-LICIOUS

6 comments:

  1. They're beautiful Meg, have a nice afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute, and I love mint chocolate so I'm sure I would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really cute! Reminds me of something from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! Moo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I just wanted to let you know I am including these in a 25 christmas cookies and bars post at mommy's sweet confessions, it will be up soon. They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful! I'm a sucker for anything chocolate and mint, especially at the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want one right now! They look fabulous! Thanks for linking to the 12 Days of Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...